The Fisher’s Theatre opened on May 6th, 1828 in Vicarage Street, on the site of a barn which had previously been used for theatrical productions, since 1818 at least. The Fishers were a very active theatrical family who ran the Norfolk and Suffolk Company of Comedians. David Fisher joined the William Scraggs Company of Comedians, became a partner and, on Williams death in 1808, formed his own company, and began building theatres in towns including Beccles, Bungay, Dereham, Eye, Lowestoft and, the last one, North Walsham. The theatre cost £1800, enjoyed great popularity, and, at one time 18 members of the Fisher family were acting with the company.
Unfortunately, a countrywide recession in the theatre resulted in all the theatres owned by the Fishers being sold. In 1845, the North Walsham theatre was sold for just £400 and became the National School until the Board School opened on Manor Road in 1874.
Thereafter, for many years, the building served as the Church Rooms and, for a period during the First World War, was used as the YMCA “Soldiers Hut”. Now, it is the home of the Wilco Motorist Store.