Richard Newsham was an inventor, who took out 2 patents for fire engines in 1721 and 1725 and soon dominated the fire engine market in England. His engine had two single-acting pistons and an air vessel placed in a tank which formed the frame of the machine.
The Newsham No.5 Engine was one of his largest models and this one was bought by the Church Wardens around 1725, making it the oldest surviving example.
A 1728 broadsheet issued by Newsham gave the price of this engine as £45, without suction. A £50 version was also available with suction which allowed the engine to draw water from a nearby pond or stream.
It was designed to be operated by up to 22 men, 9 on each handle, 4 standing on top, operating the treadle, and was able to deliver 170 gallons/minute to a distance of 150ft. Water was brought by neighbouring people to the engine in a chain of buckets and was operated by a volunteer fire brigade.
It was in service until the latter part of the 19th Century, after a service life of around 150 years. It is not certain where it was kept but it would have been in a central location and this may have in the church porch.